UN Special Rapporteur on the right to food, Hilal Elver, ends her mission to Zambia
May 12, 2017
The United Nations Special Rapporteur on the right to food, Hilal Elver, held a press briefing to finalise her official visit to the Republic of Zambia, which was undertaken at the invitation of the Government from 3 to 12 May 2017. The Objective of the mission was to evaluate the realisation of the right to food in the country. During the briefing her statement outlined preliminary findings based on information gathered during the visit. The final report will be presented to the United Nations Human Rights Council in March 2018.
UN-SDG Philanthropy Innovation Challenge
May 11, 2017
The Sustainable development Goals Philanthropy Platform is a global partnership that seeks to strengthen the engagement and role of philanthropy in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, deepen partnerships between governments, philanthropy, and other stakeholders, and increase understanding of philanthropy’s added value to planning, implementation, and monitoring of the SDGs.
SUSTAINABLE RESETTLEMENT PROGRAMME OF FORMER REFUGEES IN ZAMBIA RECEIVES $2,087, 000
May 10, 2017
The Government of Japan handed over a cheque worth Two Million, Eighty Seven Thousand Dollars ($2, 087,000) towards the Programme for Sustainable Resettlement of Former Refugees in Zambia during the occasion of the National Advisory Group. The cheque was received by the Permanent Secretary Office of the Vice -President on behalf of the Zambian Government and the United Nations Resident Coordinator, Janet Rogan on behalf of the UN who are Programme Managers.
Speech by UNDP Country Director, Mr. Martim Maya on behalf of the United Nations Resident Coordinator World Press Freedom Day commemoration
May 3, 2017
Today is a very important day when we commemorate the World Press Freedom Day under the theme “Critical Minds for Critical Times: Media’s Role in Advancing Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies.” This theme points to the importance of strengthening free and quality journalism to enable the media to effectively contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in general and of SDG 16 in particular. SDG number 16 aims to Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
UN to continue supporting governments Effort aimed at eliminating Malaria
Apr 27, 2017
25th April is commemorated as National Malaria Day. Today the United Nations in Zambia participated in the commemoration of the event under the theme "Malaria Ends with Me".
Zambia Partcipates in the SEFORALL Forum in New York
Apr 4, 2017
The Sustainable Energy for All Forum is the landmark gathering celebrating the global sustainable energy movement. Over 1,000 high-level representatives from government, business, civil society and international organizations will gather in New York City for the 3rd Sustainable Energy for All Forum – its theme “Going Further, Faster – Together.”
Statement by the UN Resident Coordinator, Ms Janet Rogan - International Day of Forests
Mar 27, 2017
I am delighted to be here today representing the UN in Zambia for the International Day of Forests. This year's theme is most relevant to Zambia because around 70% of the population rely on forest resources for their energy needs either through fuel wood or charcoal. The other 30% of the population rely on electricity produced by hydro-electric generation, which is dependent on forests for the sustainable supply of water. So does the formal economy.
- United Nations Resident Coordinator in Zambia Janet Rogan's pledge for women Mar 24, 2017
Norwegian Partners (NOREPS) to visit Zambia in Support of the Solar for Health Project
Mar 24, 2017
UNDP in Zambia in collaboration with Ministry of Health (MoH) and Medical Stores Limited recently agreed and signed a project called Solar for Health. This project aims at increasing the proportion of solar energy in the energy supply of the health facilities, thereby increasing the number of health facilities with access to electricity and improving health care. One of the key sponsors of the Project is NOREPS the Norwegian consortium of innovative partners, government and private sector organisations.
Remarks by the UN Resident Coordinator, Ms Janet Rogan -International Women’s Day Commemoration
Mar 8, 2017
There are two underlying messages in this theme: first, "promoting inclusiveness" which is about empowering, or giving power to, those who are not currently included. It is about making space for others. Particularly, this message is to men, who possess the power and who occupy the space, that they need to share power, share space with women.